Excessive Wet Weather Can Lead to Mold
The historic rain that the United States has endured in 2011 has increased moisture levels in places where moisture has never been a problem. I have heard from many people around the country who have never had water in their homes but have recently sustained water damage and are now concerned about potential mold.
As I have mentioned in a previous blog, mold needs four things to grow: moisture (liquid water), food (typically starch or sugar), temperature between 41° and 104° and oxygen. When water is trapped behind walls or paneling, the other elements will most likely be present and the potential for mold growth will exist. Try to clean and dry areas subjected to water within 48 hours to help prevent mold growth. After cleaning and drying, continue to be sensitive to musty odors in the affected area.
Check the exterior of homes and building regularly for accumulating ground water. Many parts of the country have far exceeded saturation and mold can begin for form outside and find its way inside. If water is accumulating against your foundation, take measures to drain the water away from your building. Keeping things dry is the key to preventing mold growth.
There are many products available today to help protect the home or building from moisture infiltration and mold growth. There are coating products that can be applied to dry materials to mitigate any mold growth potentials for that surface in the future. If materials are wet and can’t be cleaned or completely dried, remove them from the building and replace them with new materials which may be more mold resistant. Fiber glass doesn’t have the food needed for mold growth but often when insulation gets wet, the water which intruded into the cavity was dirty and brought food along with it. If you have wet insulation, replace it with new fiber glass. If replacing drywall, consider selecting a board that that contains mold and moisture inhibitors.
Many people have sensitivities to mold and it can be a health concern. Make sure that you take extra care to check for mold especially if this is the first time you are dealing with water inside your home or building. Use a mixture of common sense and caution- if it smells or looks bad assume that it is bad and take appropriate measures.
Lucas Hamilton is Manager, Building Science Applications for CertainTeed Corporation