Tips to Boost Contractor Leads Using Twitter
If you don’t have a Twitter account, stop what you’re doing, go to www.twitter.com, and create one. Why?
According to the State of the Twittersphere report, each day five to 10 thousand new people join Twitter. Millions of users tweet daily. That’s a lot of opportunity!
For building professionals, this is another way to find customers, share information and best practices with other professionals, and expand your circle of influence. It is just as important today to engage is social media as it is to a have website. It is a part of doing business in the 21st century. I have included some examples of how Twitter can help you. You can:
- Create a “following” of people who are interested in what you are saying
- Search for people who are searching for you.
- Use the Twitter Search and enter phrases and keywords people would use to find you and your business.
- Then, comment on their Tweets or send them an email when available. This will help you build a following quickly
- Boost contractor leads and customers by staying in constant contact with your target audience.
Tips on the effective use of Tweets:
- Post real-time updates so you can keep your followers informed.
- Write strong Headlines – Short and Sweet – “What’s in this for me?”
- Tweets with a link are more likely to be re-tweeted.
- Share how-to information, newsworthy events and tips, promotions.
- Use the 90/10 rule. 90 percent of the time tweet useful information and resources, the remaining 10% tweet surveys and questions.
- Day of the week and time of day matter – Monday to Wednesday were the days with the most re-tweets and tweets posted between 9:00 am and 6:00 pm had a higher volume of re-tweets.
- Comment on blogs of your followers. They will likely follow you back and leave a comment for you.
- Comment back as much as possible. This establishes a relationship and will lead to repeat visits.
In today’s world of social media marketing, Twitter should be one of the tools every contractor is using to build their business.
If you are using Twitter as part of your sales strategy, I would love to hear how it is going.