That refund can help fund your spring home improvement honey do list
Your home is one of your most valuable assets. This spring and summer, why not show your home some love by making some improvements that can save energy, enhance curb appeal and reduce worries, while adding real value to your life and home. Here are some tips for ways to invest:
- Insulate the heart of the home — Many homeowners decide to tackle major interior home renovations in spring and summer. Whether it’s a kitchen, bathroom, basement, or attic, remember to “insulate when you renovate.” Insulation can cook up a high ROI. In fact, according to the Remodeling magazine 2016 Cost vs. Value report, attic insulation is the number one most cost-effective renovation, with payback at resale over 115 percent! There are some new insulation products that can help to create a healthier home for your family. If you are in moisture-prone areas, SMARTBATT™ Insulation with MoistureSense™ Technology and MemBrain™ air barrier and smart vapor retarder improve indoor air quality by helping to reduce mold and mildew that can trigger asthma and allergic reactions. Each has drying properties that help reduce these risks by allowing walls to ‘breathe’.
- A sound investment in new drywall – Open plan concepts have been making ‘noise’ in home designs and renovations. The fact is these designs can also make unwanted noise in your home. SilentFX® QuickCut™ noise-reducing drywall is specially engineered to help, reducing sound transmission between rooms up to 90 percent by absorbing sound instead of deflecting it. And it installs like regular drywall, so that means walls will be up faster and at a lower total cost than other traditional sound-proofing methods. SilentFX is a great option for areas like laundry rooms, garages and playrooms.
- Reflect the sun’s rays in a way that truly pays —Time to replace your roof? Landmark Solaris® solar reflective asphalt shingles feature advanced granules that reflect the sun’s rays and radiant heat, reducing roof temperature in the summer. Solaris is offered in a palette of rich, authentic colors, some of which meet ENERGY STAR® standards, and may also qualify for credits in LEED or National Association of Home Builders (NAHB®) green programs, as well as rebates through federal and state programs such as the recently renewed Residential Energy Efficiency Tax Credit. Find out what’s available in your area by visiting gov/savings.
- Keep the rain away — April showers won’t affect your outdoor party plans with the UnderShield® water diversion system. The vinyl shield turns an unsightly second floor deck underside into a beautiful ceiling. Its channels discreetly collect and drain precipitation away, leaving the space beneath dry and comfortable, while protecting against water damage.
- Beautiful railing for easy outdoor living — Traditional wood railing fails the “worry-free” tests with its time-consuming and costly maintenance. CertainTeed® EverNew® vinyl and composite railing is the better choice for exceptional curb appeal, easy care and long-lasting performance — promising no warping, rotting, splitting, peeling or corrosion. And sanding, staining or painting is not required. Add in the benefits of easy installation with any stair or deck material, splinter-free surfaces and an outstanding limited lifetime warranty, and you’ll have more time to spend just relaxing and enjoying the warmer months ahead.
For additional ideas and inspiration for your home and outdoor living spaces, visit www.certainteed.com.