Tools and guidance for your indoor renovations abound but how do you best maximize your curb appeal and return on investment on highly visible exterior projects? We have found five free tools that take the guess-work out of the planning process so you get the results you want.
- iDreambookTM from CertainTeed®. This comprehensive Apple® iBook tool allows you to plan all the pieces of your exterior renovation from colors and trim to roofing materials. Flip through the extensive idea book for design inspiration. Each picture, video and interactive tool in the idea book provides different ways to help you recreate the exact look for your own home. Available through iTunes for your Mac or iOS device.
- Deck Designer from Lowes®. Decks are a great way to add entertaining space or enjoy a beautiful view. Use this easy planner tool to create a custom design. When you’re finished you’ll receive your 3-D design and detailed building report. Going to DIY? You can bring the plan to Lowes and get help gathering together all your materials. The tool only allows you to select from composite, pressure treated or cedar materials. If you would prefer to use a low maintenance vinyl or other decking material, you’ll need to take the design to your local distributor or discuss modifications with a contractor.
- Plan-a-Garden from Better Homes and Gardens®. Use drag and drop functionality to design a gorgeous outdoor landscape. Choose from 15 preloaded exteriors or upload a picture of your home then add trees, bushes, flowers, even garden accents and structures like gazebos, planters and patio tables. There are a lot more options available if you decide to upgrade but this free version is a good place to start. They’ll even hook you up with a landscaper in your neighborhood if after a few tries you decide to call in a pro.
- ColorView® from CertainTeed. This useful tool lets you see what your home will look like with siding, roofing and trim products – all before installing. Just want to check out how your color ideas look together? You can do that too. Select a preloaded house style then begin exploring the various color, styles and textures. Still not entirely sure? You can upload a photo of your home and turn it into a template you can manipulate directly – or for a small fee, a designer will do it for you (recommended). Remember, siding and roofing are not products that you change often so you want to choose wisely. When you’ve got the look you want, click view your selections then find a pro and the tool will put you in touch with a CertainTeed credentialed installer in your area.
- ColorCoach™ from CertainTeed. If you struggle with putting colors together, which is not uncommon, this is the tool for you. ColorCoach is a quick and easy color coordinator tool that provides color theory concepts and swatches to help you create a color palette to customize the look of your home. Start with your roof color then make fool proof color decisions for your siding and trim. The tool only offers you designer-selected color combinations that look flawless together.
Sometimes the hardest part of the project is those first few decisions. These tools help you better visualize the project ahead so you can move forward with confidence. Once you’re ready to begin, CertainTeed also offers the Find a Pro tool so you can locate a credentialed installer in your area. Time to start renovating.