Hello Commercial Crew,
In this session of Joe Knows, I will be guiding you through another manufacturer-approved installation detail. Flashing the inside corner of a parapet wall (Construction Detail CT-09) is an important step in your installation process as it offers protection against movement and provides waterproofing at the meeting point of two angles.
Similar to my previous session, flashing the outside corner of a parapet wall (CT-10), I ask you to mimic the motion of “wrapping a present” using Flintlastic® SA NailBase and Flintlastic SA Cap. As I have said before, you can’t move forward without installing a non-combustible cant strip.
For successful installation, please follow the steps below, and then watch my quick demonstration video to see it in action.
Let’s Get to Work!
1. When putting your field membrane in place, make relief cuts on all roofing layers to allow the membrane to take the corner’s shape.
2. Starting with your anchor flashing or backer sheet, make relief cuts to accommodate the top edge downturn and the corner.
3. For the downturn, make a straight cut perpendicular to the wall out. For the corner, make a straight cut parallel to the wall out. The sheet will now drop into place.
4. At the bottom of the corner, the sheet will flex to indicate where the relief cuts are needed to accommodate the top and bottom of the cant. Mirror and repeat these steps on the adjacent wall. Make sure to round out your cuts.
5. When applying your Flintlastic SA Cap flashing, no cut is necessary at the top of the corner, but similar relief cuts are required at the bottom corner. Mirror those cuts on the adjacent wall. Make sure to round out your cuts.
7. To ensure the bottom of the corner is watertight, attach one patch where the corner cut was made. CertainTeed does not dictate the shape of the corner patch, so get creative!
Nice job, you and your team have learned yet another crucial installation detail. If you have any questions, you can submit via this form or leave a comment below.
In the meantime, keep an eye out for my next blog and video post detailing the installation method for installing membrane endlaps (CT-22).
Find all our Construction Details here: https://www.certainteed.com/pro-center/roofing—roof-systems-specifications/
Learn more about CertainTeed Commercial Roofing: https://www.certainteed.com/commercial-roofing/